Thursday, February 2, 2017

Mean Tweets-Unethical or Hysterical?

Thinking about what I learned this week, I was stumped. Then I saw a video from Jimmy Kimmel Live. It was a video that I had seen numerous times, but I had a thought regarding something other than comedy. People are mean. I can't watch nightly news because of how depressing it is. It's no surprise that "Mean Tweets" still exists because of the entertainment factor. What I never considered before was the athlete reading a mean comment about themselves. Why do the athletes agree to fuel these segments? Growing up, my dad always quoted Investor Business Daily saying, "How you think is everything"  This truth applies now more so than ever.

How do we approach people we respect? How do we approach people we don't respect? Most people have a favorite athlete or celebrity. Though a controversial athlete, my favorite basketball player has always been Kobe Bryant. I still wonder why Kobe would read a mean comment about himself? I also wonder why LeBron James or Michael Jordan have not appeared on "Mean Tweets"? Celebrities are role models, whether they like it or not. Are we more inclined to protect our egos or defend our character? Depends on the person. Do we laugh at these segments because the comments are funny? In all honesty, yes. But the real humor comes from the reader's reaction. 

Personally, I am all for athletes showing the world they are humans. I love athletes that know who they are and what they stand for. Some get offended, some don't. In "Swallowed Up in the Will of the Father", Neal A. Maxwell talks about three groups of people: pessimists, optimists, and innovators. Innovators are those who see the good and bad in each situation, and determine their choices because of that viewpoint. Not only will they make smart decisions, but they are what they think. They are practical, yet they have vision. I do not commend all of these athletes for their responses, but some I absolutely do!   


3 comments:

  1. I honestly think it is hilarious. I think its cool for athletes and celebrities to acknowledge the fact that not everybody in the world worships them. Obviously a lot of the tweets are more for comedic effect than to actually put forth a valid concern with a celebrity, but still. Maybe I just like it because I get to be the anonymous viewer of it rather than the reader. But who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mean tweets really are crazy haha I can't believe some of the things people say online. That being said, I don't see much harm in celebrities being able to laugh a little at the things people say about them. Interesting post! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I was only going to watch one of those videos and ended up watching them all. I'm sorry to say they were hilarious but it's true that that's probably only because of the readers responses. However, it did also help me think deeper on how we treat others and why we sometimes find strength/humor in tearing others town to build ourselves up. Thanks for the message.

    ReplyDelete