Thursday, February 23, 2017

Didn't Expect a Part Two to be Honest

Being from Southern California, I grew up and still am a Los Angeles Lakers fan. I also love Magic Johnson. How can you like the Lakers and not like Magic? I know. You can't. That is a man who knows how to maintain poise and control in all situations. What I learned this week: it really does pay to maintain and enrich your connections. Do you know what I'm talking about Phil?

Phil Jackson won five titles coaching the Lakers. Magic won five titles playing for the Lakers. Phil Jackson and Jeanie Buss were together for 16 years. No one really knows how long Magic and Jeanie were planning this change. Point being, connections are changing the way business is conducted. Companies like LinkedIn allow and enable connections to be made as well as maintained. I had a chance to ask Scott O'Neil a few questions in October of 2016. Scott O'Neil serves as the Chief Executive Officer of the New Jersey Devils and the Philadelphia 76ers. One simple but effective tip he gave me was "each connection you have will have three other connections". Just think, instead of one connection, you may actually gain four connections. I know simple right? 

Here's my point: Magic Johnson loves the Lakers and the Lakers love him. Is Magic Johnson ready to be in charge of the Lakers? To be honest, I don't know. People say that he doesn't have any front office experience. True. But he has a basketball mind that few others do. This is one reason that he wants to involve Kobe Bryant, another basketball genius. Basketball isn't just an industry, it's people working extensively with one another. 

Should Magic be in charge of the Lakers? Absolutely. Other than a relationship dilemma, Phil Jackson seems more qualified since running the Knicks. But even though Phil has run the Knicks for a while, he's produced more drama than results. I would rather take the opportunity of Magic over the experience of Phil. The more you put into a connection, the more you get out of it. Networking is not the same as having connections.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know Magic Johnson was going to be in charge of the Lakers. That's cool! I think that there are many front office people that can help Magic Johnson, but his experience playing basketball sets him apart and will make him a very valuable asset.

    ReplyDelete