Friday, April 14, 2017

The Evolution of Tradition

Is that possible? Can tradition evolve from what it once was?

I heard a quote just within the past two hours: "I've been so busy looking at the chess board on my own, I forgot to be a part of it." Tradition exists because we choose to continue it. I've been thinking about this lately: why am I starting to like tennis? Don't get me wrong, I still hate golf. I associate enjoying golf and tennis with age. Should I? That's up for debate. But here's what I learned: I am getting older.

We're on our own. Have been. Will be. I was on the mission, and am at college. And getting older does that. So is it a problem that I am starting to like tennis? I don't think so. But I realized that I'm acting like I'm separate from the chess game. Acceptance is hard, but it shows, and if used correctly, it provides miracles. It will always be important, but some will deflect it for years.

I think of tradition as old. Think of my grandfather. But the only way to want the tradition is for us to understand how it makes us better. So, although this post is short, this answer speaks for miles. I'm doing what President Uchtdorf told us, "Don't take yourself so seriously". Tradition may be tennis and golf with my grandfather, and now tradition is me and tennis. That is because I am becoming who I want to become, and the only way to do that is through acceptance and change.

(End post with Michael Jackson song...you know what I'm talking about)

1 comment:

  1. I really like your quotes. This does help me realize that I sometimes too care about other stuff instead of enjoying the things I am doing. I believe tradition can evolve because that is how we are improving haha! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete