Saturday, April 8, 2017

Ask the Duke, this isn't Justice

I've learned about the world recently in a light that I never really had. It's actually because of my Econ 110 class, of all things. Now, I'm not talking about LAPD type crime, but rather, Major League Baseball, of all things. If you're in my MCOM section or know me, you probably know that I love baseball. But here's why I have an issue with the MLB: why aren't players equally punished to the seriousness of the infraction? And my observation for this week: money really does make the world go round.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in mercy and am an advocate of it. That will never change. Where the issue lies with the MLB is that people are willing to look the other way if something bad happens. To an extent, this is in no way a representation of real life. Here's an example: Rougned Odor, the second baseman with severe anger issues for the Texas Rangers, was suspended for 7 games after he clocked Jose Bautista of the Toronto Blue Jays. 7 games?!?! Being that I am not in the MLB, if I clocked someone because I got mad at them for a stupid reason, as Odor did to Bautista, I'm in jail. And chances are, I'm either facing felony or misdemeanor assault charges. Oh and add the lawyer fees. Can't forget those. Not one cent was taken from Odor. Or, why are baseball players still paid, and in some circumstances allowed to play, while appealing a suspension? Again, as a civilian, if I'm caught with drugs or steroids, that's some fun jail time. And for these athletes, unless in certain situations like domestic violence, no criminal prosecution?

Okay, now I'm done bitching about it. But here's where it matters for us: just don't be stupid. That's my life motto, simple as it is. You don't want to be the one who was known for looking the other way. I suspect attorneys for the MLB Players Association get involved with civil prosecution, and make it disappear. Again, I believe in mercy, plea deals, etc.. There's a reason steroid testing is getting smarter and why players still cheat the system: they don't get in trouble.


2 comments:

  1. Your life motto reminds me of what a wise man in my mission once said. "Life is hard, but it is harder when you are stupid." We may not have control over other people's lives and how it may affect ours, but we do have control over what we do with ours. We can be smart and do the things we know are right and hope others do the same. It doesn't do any good comparing our life choices or results with those of others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Anyone that has served a mission knows that the only way someone will change is when they decide to make the change for themselves. The hard part is doing right around people when wrong is always present. It's hard to be one person doing right when someone won't choose to accept it.

      Delete