Friday, March 3, 2017

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly, and the Netflix

What's the similarity between a car, television, socks, and Netflix? Other than owning each item myself, the big connection is my free will. I could be without them tomorrow, and would drastically feel the effects of not having these items. Today, I see them as a standard, not as a luxury. I believe in God-given signs and I believe in God-inspired wonders. I know about free will, but it never hit me until now. But "free will" is like the chance the Lakers have to win the NBA title this year...non-existent.

I have come to understand the notion of "the will to live" though. The only reason I say "free will" does not exist is because there is always a consequence, positive or negative, resulting from our actions. (Oh, and before I continue, regarding free will, that girl from like three posts ago didn't work out, and I used my free will to end it). And here is where Netflix comes into play. I love Netflix! I've finished Baby Daddy twice, CSI: Miami once, and I'm currently around season 5 and 80 episodes. There are 13 seasons on Netflix. Recently, I tried watching the first two episodes of the Netflix produced, Santa Clarita Diet. NETFLIX: PRETTY BAD CHOICE! I love comedy, but that was down-right disgusting. Really not one of your best choices Drew Barrymore, and to be honest, I can't watch her act for a while. I don't hate much. But I do hate that Netflix is the new HBO..no rules, no clothes, all TV-MA. I don't do zombies and I don't do gore. I'm relaxed about practically everything, this, not so much.

Remember that teaching growing up: the media we use influences us? Yeah, I never totally bought into that one. But growing up, it has hit me harder each week. I never thought a Netflix show would be a sign of it though. The more we grow up, the more we make mistakes. The more we grow up, the more we succeed. The more we grow up, the more we set our own goals according to our will. And the more we grow up, the more we understand what our will tells people about us more than it tells us about ourselves.

Now what's a good quote to end this post, maybe something from some old, mentor-status person. I'm thinking Morgan Freeman, good 'ol Denzel, maybe Oogway? Okay, here's my choice from Will Arnett playing Bruce Wayne : "First rule: Life doesn't give you seat belts". What I know: Life has no seatbelts, but understanding the impact of your will, it'll save you from going through the windshield.

1 comment:

  1. Haha. The Lakers winning the championship. It's weird having those eye-opening experiences. I had the same thing with Netflix just today! Watched a series I heard a lot about; naked sex scene ten minutes in. Messed up.

    ReplyDelete