Sunday, March 26, 2017

My Life is More March Madness than Lonzo Ball's! You heard that right, LaVar.

"Perspective"...yeah, I hate that word. I feel like it always implies that I am in the wrong, that someone else's view is correct. Now, I'm in pretty decent shape, but my friends can and will tell you, that there is no place for me in the tournament. I'm like 5'9", 150. I have a better chance of beating Michael Jordan in one-on-one (LaVar Ball, anyone?). So what could I learn from something I have no part of? That's exactly the magic of it! As I write this, I'm watching the Kentucky-UNC, Elite-8 game. As good as these athletes are, normally, I wouldn't watch this game. I'm a die-hard USC Trojans fan; it was good while it lasted. But this game is fun! It's been fast paced the entire first half. Some points come from the playbook, but most are from improving in the moment. March Madness is all about the upsets, just look at South Carolina and Oregon in the Final 4. Points that should be easy are blocked, as UNC is dominating. Shots that are tougher somehow come from plays that are sloppy at best. Point being: my life is more March Madness than Lonzo Ball. 
Although he probably won't ever see this, this picture is for you LaVar, with love. Shaq humbled Jordan, I doubt you'll have a chance
Whether you watch college basketball or not, if you follow sports, you know the name Lonzo Ball. Everyone has known he was going to the NBA after one year. Everyone knows his father will yet again, say something stupid. Lonzo Ball's life is under the microscope. I don't want to use the word "scripted", but people have known what his intention was after the tournament. Conversely, my life isn't predictable as Lonzo Ball's life. No one is following me to the NBA draft, and no one cares. My father is not telling people the only team I will play for is the Lakers. He isn't telling someone to sign a billion-dollar-shoe deal for me and my brothers. (Apparently, anything under a billion dollars is not acceptable!) Does it sound like LaVar Ball could be exploiting his kids? Shots that should be layups in my life aren't just blocked, but after being blocked, the basketball hits me in the face, slamming me on the court to leave me there. Fast breaks that I shouldn't be on randomly occur in my life. It's the closest thing I will get to March Madness. I'm figuring out that no matter how much I try to prepare, I won't be prepared. But it doesn't mean that I shouldn't prepare. 

I have always been someone who tries to make everyone happy and help them with what they need. My experience: people are mean, and people are jerks. People can really suck! They want their life to be Lonzo Ball, predictable of success. Here's where I apply it to my life: I deserve to be famous just as much as Lonzo Ball does. But, his skills far surpass mine. And although we deserve to be famous at the same level, we have differences that prohibit that pursuit. Look at Oregon and South Carolina; they shouldn't be in the Final 4. I shouldn't be in the Final 4. But that doesn't mean that I can't be. Take that to life: we all have the opportunity to success, but people bet more on upsets than logic. 

One of the half-time-show hosts of the Kentucky-UNC game said this about the tournament:
"You've got to bring your game, not your name"  


That's the fun of March Madness. 
That's also the fun of life, as well as the suck.

Try to upset the others, but don't let it happen to you.  





1 comment:

  1. I love your point. Just because we, "on paper," should lose, does not mean we are destined to lose. In life, we can still get opportunities and beat out the higher-seeded competitors. Just because we are the 16 seed does not give us an excuse to give up.

    ReplyDelete